drm-i915kms + x11-intel eats out all of the ram and swap but not with x11-scfb

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at freebsd.org
Wed Apr 15 09:30:25 UTC 2020

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 12:38:25PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> A day or two ago I saw a post to this list stating that modesetting
> was not interesting because it did not support 3-D acceleration.

I think I was quoting this forum post* by yuripv@, but now I see it's
from 2018 so it might no longer be accurate.  Sorry for confusion.

> At least on my Sandy Bridge system running the latest available
> software for FreeBSD 12-STABLE, 3-D acceleration works just fine.

I'm currently trying to get X11 back to normal on my AMD laptop, and
without `x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati' port installed X server does not
even start, spamming me with "radeon: The kernel rejected CS, see dmesg
for more information (-16)."  Of course, there is nothing useful in
dmesg. :-(

Is "modesetting driver" only a thing in the Intel world, or it should
work for AMD cards too?

./danfe

*) https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/how-to-use-the-old-or-the-new-i915kms-driver-for-intel-integrated-graphics-with-xorg.66732/post-406316