drm-i915kms + x11-intel eats out all of the ram and swap but not with x11-scfb

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 20:33:59 UTC 2020

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 12:53 PM Niclas Zeising <zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se>
wrote:

> On 2020-04-14 21:38, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 5:15 AM Niclas Zeising
> > <zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se <mailto:zeising%2Bfreebsd at daemonic.se>>
> wrote:
> >
> >     On 2020-04-14 13:57, Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
> >      > Hello world :-)
> >      >
> >      > I have noticed some bad thing with the X11 Intel driver
> (12.1-RELEASE
> >      > AMD64 with latest intel driver from 2018???) - it eats out all of
> the
> >      > RAM, then it eats all of the SWAP, then system gets unusable for
> >      > anything except hard reset :-( This happens when it works together
> >      > with latest DRM i915KMS. On hard computer use that means
> workstation
> >      > gets useless in around 15 minutes. Closing applications does not
> free
> >      > the memory resources, once it get some some it never returns.
> >
> >     Which driver are you talking about? xf86-video-intel or
> >     drm-fbsd12.0-kmod?
> >
> >      >
> >      > I have set the UXA as the default for i5-5300U CPU.
> >      >
> >      > On the other hand the DRM i915kms works fine with SCFB on the same
> >      > load and hardware. I am working on DRM + i915kms + SCFB so far.
> >
> >     If you are using SCFB, you are not using i915kms.
> >
> >      >
> >      > This is why I suspect problem with X11-INTEL driver? Maybe it
> >     does not
> >      > like latest Xorg changes?
> >      >
> >      > I also sometimes get this DRM warning on the dmesg:
> >      > [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to
> less
> >      > power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen
> memory
> >      > size if available in BIOS.
> >
> >     This is unrelated to this issue.
> >
> >     Have you tried using the modesetting xorg driver instead?
> >     Regards
> >     --
> >     Niclas
> >
> > A day or two ago I saw a post to this list stating that modesetting was
> > not interesting because it did not support 3-D acceleration. At least on
> > my Sandy Bridge system running the latest available software for FreeBSD
> > 12-STABLE, 3-D acceleration works just fine. This assumes the most
> > recently committed mesa, server, drm-fbsd12.0-kmod, etc. It may be that
> > modesetting does not provide 3-D on other platforms, but that is not the
> > norm, I suspect. If it does normally work, a clear statement to that
> > effect would be a "good  thing", though, other than this mailing list, I
> > have no idea where to find current status and no idea where else users
> > would look.
> >
> > If it is not going to be maintained, please take down the graphics wiki
> > page! It list supporting evdev as "Not started" and everything on it
> > seems over a year old. I'm tempted to volunteer to try to update it
> [...]
Niclas, you are pretty much preaching to the choir. I have no issues with
the modesetting driver. It works fine. Being the default, anyone doing a
new install from the distribution will run it. But those with existing
systems who are building ports, as I do on my development system, never see
this change unless there is an entry in ports/UPDATING. That is one reason
that I suspect a lot of people have issues with the drm-kmod and fall back
to the legacy code.

As for the wiki, I do need to take back what I said. If I had not seen the
introductory section so out of date, I would have continued on and
discovered that the Hardware Support section does look current with regard
to Intel system. I have no recent experience with either nVidia or AMD GPU
to have any idea. I am sorry for not looking more closely.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com