Xorg with evdev input devices

greg at unrelenting.technology greg at unrelenting.technology
Sun Sep 22 23:28:38 UTC 2019

September 22, 2019 10:39 PM, "Vasily Postnicov" <shamaz.mazum at gmail.com> wrote:

> My experience report without xwayland:
>
> 1) Most of my 3.5 games work, including RtCW, doom3, quake (vkquake and darkplaces), instead,
> eduke32 and xonotic. Quake2 (don't remember which one) doesn't work (it does not use sdl2)

Yeah. OpenMW is the funniest, it works as a native app (SDL2), but currently requires Xwayland to load because some silly dependency does X stuff.

> 2) Many gtk3 applications work, but not emacs and iridium (last I heard, chrome does not support
> wayland).

AFAIK, Chromium is not a GTK application anymore (it used to be in the early versions, but now it's all custom stuff).

Chromium OS actually supports Wayland as a *server* :D but google is still not accepting the patch for Chromium *on* Wayland.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/chromium-ozone-wayland-git/ is a Linux package with that patch.

Someone could import that to FreeBSD ports but seems like most of us who could do it are Firefox fans, haha.

> 3) All qt5 apps do not work with the following message:
> QWaylandShmBuffer: failed: Permission denied

hmm, qt5 has always worked fine for me (with QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland), since the early days when evdev has just appeared on FreeBSD…

You can use truss to see where it's trying to allocate the buffer.

> So, thank you for your time helping me solve things. I think, I'll stay for a while with X)) IMHO,
> sway is not as useful as stumpwm. And I can replace iridium with firefox, but I cannot replace
> emacs (not with vim, anyway ;). As for qt5, there is no much info on google, that is strange.

Join the dark side, use Wayfire — we have wobbly windows and desktop cube animations, like in the good old days of Compiz :D