sway (and a libinput error message)

Jan Beich jbeich at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 10 13:30:21 UTC 2019

(CC'ing an appropriate public list. I don't help privately.)

Adam Weinberger <adamw at adamw.org> writes:

> Hi Jan,
>
> I haven't run X on FreeBSD in many, many years. I'm trying to set up
> sway on a new laptop (Purism Librem 13 v4), but I'm getting this
> message when I run `sway`:

I don't set up Sway from scratch every day, so don't remember all the details.
common quirks of running *any* Wayland compositor on FreeBSD e.g.,

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2019-January/022481.html

> [backend/libinput/backend.c:84] libinput inilialization failed, no input devices
> [backend/libinput/backend.c:85] Set WLR_LIBINPUT_NO_DEVICES=1 to
> suppress this check

Could be either lack of /dev/input/* access or EVDEV_SUPPORT.
To diagnose run "libinput debug-events" then press some keys.

For one, I have the following in /etc/devfs.rules

  [localrules=10]
  add path 'input/*' mode 0660 group video

as https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/libudev-devd/pull/8 haven't
propagated into devel/libudev-devd port.

To get modifer keys work correctly define XKB_DEFAULT_RULES=evdev via
environ(7) or put "input * xkb_rules evdev" into ~/.sway/config.
x11/libxkbcommon upstream actually defaults to "evdev".