AMDGPU RX580 OpenCL

Greg V greg at unrelenting.technology
Sat Jan 5 12:35:24 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 2:20 PM, Gunther Nikl <gnikl at justmail.de> wrote:
> Greg V <greg at unrelenting.technology>:
>>  It's very usable, I'm running a Wayland compositor (Weston), with
>>  VAAPI and Vulkan and whatnot :)
>
> Slightly OT, but can you describe what is required to get Wayland
> running? What additional software is required? Can I (still) use
> xterm,
> Opera 12, etc?

Yes, you can run any X apps, Xwayland makes that work

> I am interested in trying this stuff. However lacking the basics I
> could not convince myself to undertake this adventure. Currently I am
> on FreeBSD 11.2 (UEFI) using Xorg (1.20, patch for ports taken from
> pr196678) with the modesetting driver on a Haswell system. The laptop
> works with the base(!) drm without a glitch. The ports drm kmod works
> as well, no idea if its preferable. I am always loading the kms module
> manually...

Yes, of course it's preferable, the base port is really old and
abandoned.

Back in 2015 base was all we had, it didn't even support Haswell, I
bought my X240 right around when Haswell support was added… :D
And now we don't lag behind Linux all that much, and there's AMD in
additon to Intel…

So, if you want Wayland,

- most importantly, you need a kernel built with the EVDEV_SUPPORT
option, otherwise you won't get any input devices
  - (btw you can use evdev+libinput in Xorg too)
  - EVDEV_SUPPORT has been enabled by default in CURRENT and 12-STABLE,
so 12.1 will be the first release to get evdev out of the box I think

- set sysctl kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=12 to get events from individual
keyboards/mice instead of the multiplexer — important for touchpads

- also it's very nice to have a kernel with
https://reviews.freebsd.org/rS342768 (just landed in CURRENT, will be
merged into 12-STABLE after a week) — otherwise unresponsive
applications can make the whole desktop unresponsive (kinda like in the
good old Mac OS 9.x days :D) — but it was surprisingly rare, I lived
with that bug for over a year

- for now, you need access permissions on /dev/input* devices — I've
been working on fixing that, there are patches (on differential for the
kernel, on github for libudev-devd) but you can just chmod g+rw
/dev/input/* and ignore security lol

- you need mesa, the UI toolkits, etc. built with wayland support —
thankfully, it's on by default in ports now, so it should all be in the
official packages already :)

- well, you need a compositor:
  - there's Sway https://github.com/swaywm/sway which has FreeBSD
support and it's already in a sort of user friendly state (for advanced
users :D)
  - there's my development fork of Weston
https://github.com/myfreeweb/weston + it needs to be launched with
https://github.com/myfreeweb/loginw — this is in development, not
really documented
  - KDE Plasma5 kwin_wayland — won't run directly on the desktop
right now I think, only in a window. I'll need to investigate
ConsoleKit2…