FreeBSD xog on AMDGPU

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Sat Aug 3 15:50:29 UTC 2019

On 03/08/2019 14:39, andrew glaeser wrote:

> Since I have no experience with X on FreeBSD, I was surprised to find
>
> True-OS (based on FreeBSD13) installs and starts up without any graphics, in
>
> text-mode, but, well, at east I have ZFS root now with fbsd v 13, see
>
> attachments.
>
> I have looked at this first:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-config.html
>
> Then I found, that the AMDGPU driver is not included in xorg-drivers package,
> but one has to compile it from the ports-tree, which was quick.
>
> Then, next I looked at this:
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
>
> and found some more hints, but as you can see this is still not workable,
> dmesg includes kms modesetting should work, but Xorg.0.log issues, that it
> does not.
>
> What now ??
>
> Strangely I see the mouse-pointer on the console, but startx always fails, I
>
> have copied the auto-generated configuration to /etc/X11/xorg.conf already,
>
> since I don't know if X runs only with user-privileges, and without any manual
>
> configuration, and X automatically always tries the ATI-driver first, which is
>
> also not included in the xorg-drivers package...

For AMD Gpu drivers please have a look here:

https://freebsddesktop.github.io/2018/12/08/drm-kmod-primer.html

This is a work in progress but the information given there will work
with FreeBSD 12 & up.

What's your aim? What are you trying to achieve? Is the aim to run
TrueOS? Or FreeBSD 13? Or the current version 12? Why have you started
with TrueOS?

FreeBSD root on ZFS has been available for ages (9x if I recall correctly)

GrzegorzJ