your mail

Niclas Zeising zeising at freebsd.org
Mon May 21 19:26:18 UTC 2018

On 05/21/18 14:26, Emil Velikov wrote:

>>> Ack. On Linux the same daemon (udevd in our case) loads the kernel
>>> module also creates the node.
>>> Has there been attempts/discussions about doing the same in FreeBSD?
>>

>> I don't think so.  There is some work done in general to load modules as
>> needed, but I don't think anything's been done specifically for graphics.
>> On linux, when is the module loaded?  On start or when starting X or some
>> other time?
>
> It's been years since I've looked, so the following outline might not be 100%
>
>   - device is plugged/present
>   - kernel populates /sys/$hardware_bus..../uevent
>   - udevd reads the uevent, loads (modprobe) the new module
>   - the module is loaded, creates more sysfs entries
>   - udevd sees the new ones, matches them to $rules and creates device
> nodes/symlinks/others

It should definitely be possible to do something similar on FreeBSD,
probably using devd.
I had a look at the e-mail thread you linked to in another mail as well.
  Robert Millan hasn't been active in the FreeBSD project for quite some
time, so I don't think he'll answer.
Apart from getting rid of old code, and special casing a platform, can
you give some more background to the change?

Thanks!
--
Niclas Zeising