your mail

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Mon May 21 12:26:05 UTC 2018

On 20 May 2018 at 20:28, Niclas Zeising <zeising at freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> Currently, we have a working area and development repos on gitub, which
>>> you
>>> can find here https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/, amongst other things
>>> there's a fork of the FreeBSD ports repo there where most ports
>>> development
>>> happens.  There's no problem getting you access to that one, and we can
>>> also
>>> add forks of upstream mesa and drm repos and so on.
>>
>> Since I'm not using/testing FreeBSD I'm looking for someone to review
>> any patches ;-)
>> Having commit access is not really required on my end.
>

> I don't know the internals of mesa or libdrm, but I can try to have a look
> and to test patches as need.

I'm talking about FreeBSD specifics. Either way let's not think about
that just yet.

>>> Creating /dev nodes is handled automatically by devfs and devd.  I don't
>>> know how it's done in detail, but it's automatic as far as at least I'm
>>> concerned.
>>>
>> Ack. On Linux the same daemon (udevd in our case) loads the kernel
>> module also creates the node.
>> Has there been attempts/discussions about doing the same in FreeBSD?
>

> I don't think so.  There is some work done in general to load modules as
> needed, but I don't think anything's been done specifically for graphics.
> On linux, when is the module loaded?  On start or when starting X or some
> other time?

It's been years since I've looked, so the following outline might not be 100%

 - device is plugged/present
 - kernel populates /sys/$hardware_bus..../uevent
 - udevd reads the uevent, loads (modprobe) the new module
 - the module is loaded, creates more sysfs entries
 - udevd sees the new ones, matches them to $rules and creates device
nodes/symlinks/others

>>> As for sysfs, mmacy gave a good responce on IRC.
>>>
>> Are you sure it wasn't on gitter? You're the only person who wrote in
>> the IRC channel since I joined.
>> Can you please copy it here or share a link?
>

> I think you were offline and missed the response.  Here it is:
> < mmacy> sysfs compat is mediocre
> < mmacy> patches welcome

Thanks. Polishing that might be better instead of adding XXX line
FreeBSD custom paths.
Be that for libdrm or elsewhere - but that in due time.

> I hope so to.  It will take a little time to get the ball rolling, but it's
> a start.  I hope we can keep in touch as things progress, either here or on
> gitter.

As you know I'm already there - evelikov.

Thanks
Emil