[SOLVED] Re: Radeon HD 4250: screen going blank every few seconds

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Mon Dec 31 14:04:59 UTC 2018

On 12/31/18 8:27 AM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

>> The graphics hardware you're using is also quite old, and not very
>> well supported.
>
> I've been using an HD4200 for several years: it's listed as "Works" on
> the AMD-GPU-Matrix page and I've been very happy with it.
>
> AFAICT, HD4250 should be the same chip (RS880), just with a slightly
> higher clock and some dedicated RAM, so I thought it would work as well
> (and with the same configuration).
> I understand the devil is in the details, though.

I think I reached a *good* configuration by trial and error.

I went into BIOS settings and disabled HDMI audio (probably not
something that matters) and choose to use only "sideport" memory (not
"UMA" or "sideport+UMA").

At this point, with a DVI cable I can achieve full resolution
(1920x1200) without glitches.

As I'm happy with this, I'm not trying which of the two settings was the
culprit, whether this works with an HDMI cable too, changing X.Org
version or driver/kernel module, etc... :)

When I have time I'll try adding the second screen, but that's not
something I can't live without.

In the end I think HD4250 could be added as "Working" in the Graphic Wiki.
Please ask if you'd like to have any info.

  bye & Thanks
	av.