libepoll-shim breaks evdev input

Andreas Nilsson andrnils at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 17:17:50 UTC 2018

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 12:15 PM Niclas Zeising <zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se>
wrote:

> On 12/29/18 11:33 PM, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 11:17 PM Niclas Zeising
> > <zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se <mailto:zeising%2Bfreebsd at daemonic.se>>
> wrote:
> >
> >     On 12/29/18 11:06 PM, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> >      >
> >      >
> >      > On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 10:19 PM Niclas Zeising
> >      > <zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se
> >     <mailto:zeising%2Bfreebsd at daemonic.se>
> >     <mailto:zeising%2Bfreebsd at daemonic.se
> >     <mailto:zeising%252Bfreebsd at daemonic.se>>> wrote:
> >      >
> >      >     On 12/28/18 3:10 PM, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> >      >      > Hello,
> >      >      >
> >      >      > On both my laptop and workstation running FreeBSD
> 13.0-CURRENT
> >      >      > 0b666203a28(master) the upgrade of libepoll-shim:
> >     0.0.20161220_1 ->
> >      >      > 0.0.20180530 breaks evdev input.
> >      >      >
> >      >      > I have xorg-server port make patched to use the udev
> >     backend, but
> >      >     with new
> >      >      > epoll-shim those device entries does not turn up in
> /dev/input
> >      >      >
> >      >      > If I run xorg-server from ports with
> >     libepoll-shim-0.0.20180530 input
> >      >      > works, but only old style kbdmux and sysmouse.
> >      >      >
> >      >      > Has something changed on how to get evdev input running?
> >      >      >
> >      >
> >      >     Hi!
> >      >     I just updated the libepoll-shim port, can you test the
> >     updated version?
> >      >     Thanks!
> >      >     Regards
> >      >     --
> >      >     Niclas
> >      >
> >      >
> >      > Hello!
> >      >
> >      > libepoll-shim-0.0.20181229 works! Great work, thank you!
> >      >

> >     Glad it works!
> >     Sorry for the initial breakage.
> >     Regards!
> >     --
> >     Niclas
> >

> > Thanks for the rapid fix of the problem! Now I just need to find why my
> > touchpad is recognized as
> > config/udev: Adding input device Generic PS/2 mouse (/dev/input/event3)
> > On a identical device running opensuse it is identified as
> > config/udev: Adding input device SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
> >
> > But that is another thread I think.
>
> You can try setting
> hw.psm.synaptics_support=1
> in /boot/loader.conf and reboot the system, and see if the touchpad is
> detected as a synaptics.
> Regards
> --
> Niclas

Hello,

It does indeed get listed as SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad after setting that
loader tunable. I thouht those  hw.psm.(synaptics|elantech)_support was
just for basic touchpad stuff for sysmouse.

However xorg still wont play: synaptics: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad:
Synaptics driver unable to detect protocol.

Thanks for helping me getting this far!

Best regards
Andreas