libepoll-shim breaks evdev input

Andreas Nilsson andrnils at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 18:07:08 UTC 2018

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 6:12 PM Andreas Nilsson <andrnils at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 12:15 PM Niclas Zeising <
> zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se> wrote:
>
>> On 12/29/18 11:33 PM, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
>> >

>> > On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 11:17 PM Niclas Zeising
>> > <zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se <mailto:zeising%2Bfreebsd at daemonic.se>>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     On 12/29/18 11:06 PM, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
>> >      >
>> >      >
>> >      > On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 10:19 PM Niclas Zeising
>> >      > <zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se
>> >     <mailto:zeising%2Bfreebsd at daemonic.se>
>> >     <mailto:zeising%2Bfreebsd at daemonic.se
>> >     <mailto:zeising%252Bfreebsd at daemonic.se>>> wrote:
>> >      >
>> >      >     On 12/28/18 3:10 PM, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
>> >      >      > Hello,
>> >      >      >
>> >      >      > On both my laptop and workstation running FreeBSD
>> 13.0-CURRENT
>> >      >      > 0b666203a28(master) the upgrade of libepoll-shim:
>> >     0.0.20161220_1 ->
>> >      >      > 0.0.20180530 breaks evdev input.
>> >      >      >
>> >      >      > I have xorg-server port make patched to use the udev
>> >     backend, but
>> >      >     with new
>> >      >      > epoll-shim those device entries does not turn up in
>> /dev/input
>> >      >      >
>> >      >      > If I run xorg-server from ports with
>> >     libepoll-shim-0.0.20180530 input
>> >      >      > works, but only old style kbdmux and sysmouse.
>> >      >      >
>> >      >      > Has something changed on how to get evdev input running?
>> >      >      >
>> >      >
>> >      >     Hi!
>> >      >     I just updated the libepoll-shim port, can you test the
>> >     updated version?
>> >      >     Thanks!
>> >      >     Regards
>> >      >     --
>> >      >     Niclas
>> >      >
>> >      >
>> >      > Hello!
>> >      >
>> >      > libepoll-shim-0.0.20181229 works! Great work, thank you!
>> >      >

>> >     Glad it works!
>> >     Sorry for the initial breakage.
>> >     Regards!
>> >     --
>> >     Niclas
>> >

>> > Thanks for the rapid fix of the problem! Now I just need to find why my
>> > touchpad is recognized as
>> > config/udev: Adding input device Generic PS/2 mouse (/dev/input/event3)
>> > On a identical device running opensuse it is identified as
>> > config/udev: Adding input device SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
>> >
>> > But that is another thread I think.
>>
>> You can try setting
>> hw.psm.synaptics_support=1
>> in /boot/loader.conf and reboot the system, and see if the touchpad is
>> detected as a synaptics.
>> Regards
> [...]

Also, there is a very very annoying thing that happens when setting either
hw.psm.(synaptics|trackpoint)_support=1 which is that periodically, as in
several times a minute, X freezes for a few seconds which is very hard to
work with. It happend even before trying out the evdev stuff.

Best regards
Andreas