A question about graphics subsystems under FreeBSD

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed Dec 26 19:15:16 UTC 2018

On 12/23/18 3:41 PM, Manish Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a port mkdesktop which simplifies the task of FreeBSD desktop
> configuration. I was looking to enhance the port in its capabilities
> and it would help me if I could know the various pkg's and kld's
> needed by the various chipsets.
>
> As per my (incomplete) knowledge, the following are usually needed:
>
> Chipset   | <Packages>                 | <Modules>
>
> AMD GPU   | drm-kmod:xf86-video-amdgpu |
> Radeon    | drm-kmod:xf86-video-ati    | radeonkms.ko**
> NVidia    | drm-kmod:nvidia-driver     | nvidia.ko:nvidia-modeset.ko
> Intel GPU | drm-kmod:xf86-video-intel  |
>
> (** : Radeon appears to need radeon.ko and radeonkms.ko under FreeBSD
> 11.x, and only radeonkms.ko in 12.0)
>
> I doubt if the above table is entirely correct and complete.
> Could someone please fill me in on the missing tidbits so that I can
> enhance my port (mkdesktop).

We've been trying to get the wiki in better shape in regards to AMD GPU
and Intel i915 graphics.  Here are two tables which should be pretty up
to date (although I suspect some of the newer CPU's need to be added):

https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/AMD-GPU-Matrix
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Intel-GPU-Matrix

Also the main wiki has been updated which will hopefully provide some
insight as well:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/

tl;dr version is if you have an AMD GPU or Intel i915 based system,
installing the "drm-kmod" package should work for you as it will select
the appropriate kmod for your platform.  Furthermore, there is no need
to install the xf86-video drivers for these platforms as the modesetting
driver which ships with Xorg is now the preferred Xorg driver upstream.

Cheers,
-pete

--
Pete Wright