X11 not working on 11-STABLE with AMDGPU

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 6 16:20:47 UTC 2018

On 18. 8. 3., Greg V wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 2:16 AM, CL Moonriver
> <clmoonriver at equinedreams.art> wrote:
>> Thanks for the heads up.
>>
>> Are you sure this is still relevant in drm-next? I don't see any dmesg
>> error about disabling GPU acceleration. I did what you suggested, but
>> nothing seems to have changed except I get no text until radeonkms has
>> loaded (I don't get garbage I get nothing at all). I still get dmesg
>> errors regarding ring test failures and such, so turning the EFI
>> framebuffer off doesn't appear to have actually changed anything.
>
> Interesting. Are you 100% sure you're booting with UEFI, not CSM/legacy?
>
> Maybe radeonkms doesn't conflict anymore. Maybe this depends on the GPU
> model or something?
>
> For amdgpu (RX 480), it's not an error about disabling acceleration, the
> amdgpu driver *completely* fails to load when EFI framebuffer is active.
> And I retested a few weeks ago. No one fixed this specifically yet, so
> I'm not expecting it to magically stop conflicting…

It wasn't fixed and some MMIO test still fails.  Actually, both
radeonkms and amdgpu still do not work properly when UEFI is active.  I
don't think it is too hard to fix but I didn't dig deeper at the time.

Jung-uk Kim