X11 not working on 11-STABLE with AMDGPU

Greg V greg at unrelenting.technology
Fri Aug 3 21:23:11 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 2:16 AM, CL Moonriver
<clmoonriver at equinedreams.art> wrote:
> Thanks for the heads up.
>
> Are you sure this is still relevant in drm-next? I don't see any
> dmesg error about disabling GPU acceleration. I did what you
> suggested, but nothing seems to have changed except I get no text
> until radeonkms has loaded (I don't get garbage I get nothing at
> all). I still get dmesg errors regarding ring test failures and such,
> so turning the EFI framebuffer off doesn't appear to have actually
> changed anything.

Interesting. Are you 100% sure you're booting with UEFI, not CSM/legacy?

Maybe radeonkms doesn't conflict anymore. Maybe this depends on the GPU
model or something?

For amdgpu (RX 480), it's not an error about disabling acceleration,
the amdgpu driver *completely* fails to load when EFI framebuffer is
active. And I retested a few weeks ago. No one fixed this specifically
yet, so I'm not expecting it to magically stop conflicting…