Xorg not starting: no screens found (intel driver + i3-4130T)

Theron theron.tarigo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 17:52:07 UTC 2017

On 03/26/17 07:28, - - wrote:
> Hello Conrad & All,
>
> Thank you for the quick response.
>
> Running `sysctl kern.vty` suggested that vt was being used. However, clearly something was not right bases on the log section that you highlighted, so I added `kern.vty=vt` to `/boot/loader.conf` and that has partially resolved the problem!
>
> I also added `kld_list="i915kms.ko"` to `/etc/rc.conf` and removed my xorg.conf file...
>
> I am now getting `AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable`. (Please see Xorg.0.log below...)
>
> `glx info | grep Device` indicates that llvmpipe is being used
>
> in contrast (on my Lubuntu partition, that I am using as a stop-gap measure) I get:
>
> `glx info | grep Device` outputs `MESA DRI Intel (R) Haswell (0x41e)`
>
> If I specify to the intel driver, I get the no screens message that I mentioned previously. (I have tried with both the intel driver config snippet below and without it.)
>
> Section "Device"
>      Identifier "Card0"
>      Driver "intel"
> EndSection
>
> I have spent some time RTM and searching through the forums, but have been unable to solve the follow-up problem as of yet.
>
> Some of the forum posts seemed to suggest it was something to do with device permissions but my regular user is added to the video and wheel groups.
>
> Another thing I tried was restricting the resolution to 1920x1080 and below because I read that resolutions greater than this could be problematic.
>
> I have tried connecting to my monitor with various cables, just in case that was an issue...
>
> Could anyone help with this stage of the troubleshooting process?
>
> Thank you & regards,
> Matthew
Is `kld_list="i915kms.ko"` correct?  I have simply [...]" i915kms" (no
extension).
Make sure i915kms is indeed loaded:
`kldstat` | grep i915`
If this is indeed the problem and you do not want to reboot just to
apply the change in rc.conf, load the module manually:
`kldload i915kms`

"No devices detected" indicates that Xorg cannot communicate with the
module responsible for the GPU hardware.  It has nothing to do with
regular user permissions or monitor connectivity.  Xorg on a headless
system with a working GPU but no display outputs would be expected to
give a "no screens" error but shouldn't have any problem finding the
(GPU) device.

Theron