X11 stopped working after upgrading ports

Conrad Meyer cem at freebsd.org
Mon Sep 26 00:09:58 UTC 2016

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 3:02 PM, Grzegorz Junka <list1 at gjunka.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much, that helped. I was looking into the package itself but
> couldn't find anything useful, and pkg info nvidia-driver wasn't showing
> anything interesting either. I thought that pkg-message shows what's in
> pkg-descr, not files/pkg-message.in. And I forgot about the UPDATING file.

Yes, it's `pkg info --pkg-message nvidia-driver` (or pkg info -D nvidia-driver).

But the pkg-message change is maybe too subtle, and could be more
attention grabbing.  Sorry for the breakage.

================================8<================================
To use these drivers, make sure that you have loaded the NVidia kernel
module, by doing

# kldload nvidia (or nvidia-modeset, see below)

or adding

nvidia_load="YES" (or nvidia-modeset_load="YES", see below)
Starting with version 358.09, some important functionality of the driver
has been broken out into a separate kernel module, nvidia-modeset.ko.
Users that experience hangs when starting X11 server, or observe

        (II) NVIDIA(0): Validated MetaModes:
        (II) NVIDIA(0):     "NULL"

in /var/log/Xorg.0.log should replace ``nvidia'' with ``nvidia-modeset''
in their /boot/loader.conf or /etc/rc.conf configuration files, depending
on how they prefer to load NVidia driver kernel module.