gfx-next update: drm-4.8-rc2 tagged in drm-next

Arto Pekkanen isoa at kapsi.fi
Sun Oct 2 21:31:51 UTC 2016

Matthew Macy kirjoitti 27.09.2016 08:49:

> Thanks for your support, but let's not get too excited if somebody
> gets his account hacked or just plain gets lonely in his mother's
> basement and needs attention. I've privately asked that he be removed
> from the lists.

Actually, my theory is he tried to bring his tribalistic Slashdot and/or
Phoronix trolling mentality into the FreeBSD mailing lists. And he now
will learn we don't take that kind of attitude here ;D

> So long as 99% of people are duly respectful of the fact that this has
> been a great deal of work and that there is more work that lies ahead
> we'll be fine. The last two KMS updates gestated a year out of tree
> before going in. This update started in late April so if it were to be
> fully stabilized and all be in by November that would be quite an
> accomplishment. On top of that this is actually much bigger in many
> respects in that it bridges more than 3 1/2 years of kernel releases
> and shifts all the localized complexity out of the drivers themselves.
> In theory at least, the shifting of complexity will make it much
> easier for myself and others to track whatever happens to be the
> latest Linux release and thus may allow FreeBSD to maintain support
> for the latest hardware on an ongoing basis. Of course it will require
> continued work to support. It remains to be seen if the community can
> muster up that effort in one form or another on a sustained basis.

I think I've experienced similar efforts work out previously, such as
the NDIS -wrapper or the Video4Linux stuff. I am being very, very
optimistic in regards to this project :)

Kevin Oberman wrote:
>  > contributions and have a real desire to help FreeBSD as well as its
>  > derivatives. They do the work. They work with FreeBSD on the
> freebsd-x11@
>  > users to get testing done, and, when it looks good, submit it to
>  > Phabricator for review, and ask for review. NextBSD was never
> mentioned and
>  > suddenly someone jumps up and yells "Go away. We don't serve your
> kind
>  > here!". Just because he works on NextBSD. Tell you what... move it
>  > freebsd-advacocy@ where this sort of thing belongs or just go away.
> Let
>  > Matthew get this done. If anyone is banned from the list, it's
> Andrei. (And
>  > I am NOT advocating that.)

Kevin, I'll interject again that they especially do NOT allow that kind
of behaviour that Andrei presented in freebsd-advocacy@ ;)

But that's all I have to say about this, let us move on.

--
Arto Pekkanen