Debugging System Lockup

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Thu Jun 30 23:02:37 UTC 2016

Hi All,
	I've been working with mmacy on testing the new i915kms support on
skylake.  I've got a stubborn bug where I am able to trigger a hard-lock
of my system requiring a manual power-off/power-on to get it back in
working order.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to get any debugging
information out of this system when this happens - no core, backtrace in
dmesg buffer, etc.

I was hoping someone on this list has had experience in debugging
situations like this and could offer some tips for trying to get useful
info out of this crash.  I was going to configure my system to use
dcons(4) - but this system does not have a fireware device, so that
seems to rule out that avenue.  So any input would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
-pete

--
Pete Wright