laptop recommendations for radeon driver testing

Arto Pekkanen isoa at kapsi.fi
Sun Jun 5 19:06:14 UTC 2016

I am going to keep an eye out for a cheap laptop. I will use this list
as reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units

I assume that all GPUs with codename of either Oland, Cape Verde,
Pitcairn or Tahiti should comply to GCN 1.0 spec, unless the
microarchitecture has bee explicitly specified.

Browsing eBay right now and it seems like there aren't (m)any cheap
laptops with GCN 1.0 GPU on board. I found two candidates, but they are
both kinda expensive:
-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspiron-15R-7520SE-i7-quad-core-8GB-RAM-15-6-Full-HD-Radeon-7730M-2GB-/182134028932?hash=item2a6808ba84:g:7tcAAOSwxehXOegi
-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-N56DP-DH11-AMD-A10-4600M-2-3GHz-8GB-1TB-AMD-Radeon-HD-7730M-15-6-Win-8-/252203481042?hash=item3ab87fb7d2:g:qUsAAOSw7FRWZeTe

At this point it might be fastest (and easiest?) to just get the
cheapest possible motherboard with PCI-E, cheap CPU, add some RAM and
then buy a separate GPU card.

Getting a separate GPU PCI-E card is easy because they always sell them
with the marketing name, and then you can be 100% sure what you are
getting. With laptops the sellers rarely specify the exact GPU model in
a way that it would be searchable.

But I will keep looking for a laptop, if I find a laptop with GCN 1.0
GPU I'll post a reply in this list.