What are the criteria for contributing to development and testing?

Arto Pekkanen isoa at kapsi.fi
Sat Feb 20 21:55:17 UTC 2016

Bertram Scharpf kirjoitti 18.02.2016 19:25:
>> You can read the various documents found at
>> https://www.freebsd.org/docs/books.html for some
>> information and introduction, but beyond that you are
>> pretty much on your own as far as I can tell.
>
> This is exactly what I meant. They point you to a web page
> that you can easily find by Google or that you have already
> found, and that is generic enough to involve you for hours
> before you dare to ask another question. Q.E.D.
>
>> If you are waiting for someone to hold your hand and guide
>> you while you get up to speed with FreeBSD development,
>> then you may have to wait a very long time.
>
> That's the last straw. If nothing else helps to get rid of
> you, they become insulting and tell you how lazy, dumb, or
> both you are. Hell, you need a heck of patience to cope with
> those characters.
>
> Bertram

Hey, hey ... easy dude. He meant no offense. This is a fact; there are
only a few developers working on this project, and they have to balance
their schedule with their real lives. This is why it will take longer
for them to provide newcomers better resources.

And yes, this means that if you want to get started at any specific
moment, you will have to do a lot of the research yourself while waiting
for a response. This applies to many areas of FreeBSD development, both
kernel and userland projects.

If you have a laptop that does not work with the driver, and you manage
to get it working, the development team will definitely look at merging
your changes. Of course, if your code differs greatly form the already
established code base, you can expect that it will be more work to merge
in your contribution.

--
Arto Pekkanen