What are the criteria for contributing to development and testing?

Erik Trulsson Erik.Trulsson.1013 at student.uu.se
Fri Feb 19 09:05:17 UTC 2016

Quoting Bertram Scharpf <lists at bertram-scharpf.de>:

>> > This time I therefore don't want to start unless I'm sure I've got an
>> > entry point that the project team actually wants to delegate.
>>
>> You can read the various documents found at
>> https://www.freebsd.org/docs/books.html for some
>> information and introduction, but beyond that you are
>> pretty much on your own as far as I can tell.
>
> This is exactly what I meant. They point you to a web page
> that you can easily find by Google or that you have already
> found, and that is generic enough to involve you for hours
> before you dare to ask another question. Q.E.D.

"hours".  If it had been a matter of weeks you would have a point,
but mere hours of reading isn't much to complain about.
And yes, you really should try reading read those documents first
to see if your questions have already been answered there.

>> If you are waiting for someone to hold your hand and guide
>> you while you get up to speed with FreeBSD development,
>> then you may have to wait a very long time.
>
> That's the last straw. If nothing else helps to get rid of
> you, they become insulting and tell you how lazy, dumb, or
> both you are. Hell, you need a heck of patience to cope with
> those characters.

Not sure who these "They" are that you refer to.
My answer is from me only and doesn't pretend to represent anybody
else's opinions.