Any chance for ATI Radeon 8470 HD graphics ?

Matthew Macy mmacy at nextbsd.org
Sun Aug 14 00:52:20 UTC 2016

 > At least for graphics such a web page which lists hardware compatibility
 > exists:
 > https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Video_cards
 >
 > > This also becomes a strong incentive to hardware manufacturers to
 > > ensure that their hardware works on FreeBSD; ...
 >
 > Nearly all hardware manufacturers don't give a tinker's damn about FreeBSD.

Mostly correct. What little vendor support exists is mostly for ISP-class server hardware. Even most FreeBSD _developers_ don't use it as a desktop.So you run in to a chicken and egg situation with usability and support. I'm hoping that will change some with the upcoming graphics refresh. However, OSX is so familiar for most that even if there is a shift, it will take several years before dogfooding becomes the norm again.

As far as graphics goes: Nvidia does a reasonable job of supporting graphics on FreeBSD (the refuse to port their user stack for CUDA to FreeBSD). Intel has recently been willing to make pre-production hardware available for graphics testing. AMD really doesn't have the financial resources to support anything beyond Linux. Their Radeon Open Compute stack has yet to catch up with Linux mainline. They have gone back to an open source only model for their kernel bits  with the amdgpu driver, so at least it is possible to track them given sufficient shimming.

-M