Any chance for ATI Radeon 8470 HD graphics ?

Gerd Hafenbrack gerd.hafenbrack at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 20:12:44 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-13 21:04, Manish Jain wrote:
> ... there is no way to determine in advance whether
> certain hardware will work on not. It should not be difficult to
> put up a web page which lists hardware compatibility ratings for the
> most popular hardware available online. Since things like CPU, disk
> drives, memory modules, monitor, keyboard and mouse always work, as a
> desktop user, I only need hardware compatibility scores for graphics
> adapter, sound card, ethernet adapter, printer/scanner. If I could
> easily see which currently available adapter/card/printer is
> supported, it makes life easier for everyone - for me buying the
> hardware, for FreeBSD users looking to support the OS and the
> hardware it runs on.

At least for graphics such a web page which lists hardware compatibility
exists:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Video_cards

> This also becomes a strong incentive to hardware manufacturers to
> ensure that their hardware works on FreeBSD; ...

Nearly all hardware manufacturers don't give a tinker's damn about FreeBSD.

> ... Richland graphics don't work. ...

Richland has Northern Islands and Northern Islands should work.

> ... there is not even a single nvidia
> card ... which I can see mentioned as supported on the
> FreeBSD Graphics web page. The only cards listed there are ages old
> and possibly very expensive cards. Not even a single card with the
> current bunch of 210/610/710/730 chipsets is referred on that page.

This page is for open source drivers.
nvidia cards are supported by the proprietary driver from nvidia:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/105346