Success! Was: Testing the new i915 driver (HD Graphics 4400)

Juan Ramón Molina Menor listjm at club.fr
Mon Oct 19 13:42:07 UTC 2015

> Oh yeah, and one more thing that I forgot to mention.
>
> Now that you have the codec backend (multimedia/ffmpeg) and player
> (multimedia/mpv) both built with VAAPI option and the player configured
> to use VAAPI in decoding and as output, you must also install the VAAPI
> driver for intel GPU:
> # pkg install libva-intel-driver
>
> After this you should be able to play full HD video files with less than
> 10% CPU usage (average 1-5% on my laptop). That's how it works on my
> machine at least.
>
> Arto Pekkanen kirjoitti 18.10.2015 16:55:
>> To get VAAPI acceleration for video, you should do as follows:
>> - enable the VAAPI option for ports multimedia/ffmpeg and multimedia/mpv
>> - build and install the aforementioned ports
>> - edit file ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf, add the following lines:
>> vo=vaapi
>> hwdec=vaapi
>> - use mpv to play video files, preferably full HD
>>
>> The same applies to other players too.

Hey, thanks, this is working perfectly with Haswell 4400! Low CPU, full
screen, no tearing… Here is the output of mpv:

libva info: VA-API version 0.38.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/local/lib/va/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_38
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
AO: [oss] 44100Hz stereo 2ch s32
Using hardware decoding (vaapi).
VO: [vaapi] 1280x720 vaapi

Unfortunately, this is not working with the vimb web browser, even if
when opening the same file, I have a similar output:

libva info: VA-API version 0.38.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/local/lib/va/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_38
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0

I’ve played for a moment with GStreamer debug levels but not found
anything (and it’s over my head anyway).

Nevertheless, thanks again!

Best regards,
Juan