X keyboard layout and synaptics touchpad config issues

Eric McCorkle eric at metricspace.net
Fri Oct 16 15:23:25 UTC 2015

Hello,

I've been unable to run X for some time, now I'm back because the i915
driver is operational.  However, it seems some of my old configs are
stale, and I'm having some issues.

First, I can't seem to set the X keyboard layout to dvorak.  I had the
usual 'Option "XkbLayout" "dvorak"' setting, which worked in the past,
but doesn't seem to work now.

My Xorg.0.log file contains these lines:

(II) LoadModule: "kbd"
(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input/kbd_drv.so
(II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Using input driver 'kbd' for 'kbdmux'
(**) kbdmux: always report core events
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "base"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
(**) Option "config-info" "devd:kbdmux"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "kbdmux" (type: KEYBOARD, id 7)
(II) config/devd: kbdmux is enabled, ignoring device atkbd0

It looks like it's ignoring the  layout setting (I've tried XkbVariant
dvorak too, to  no avail)

Also, the synaptics touchpad driver seems to be sending the mouse
pointer to the upper left corner of the screen whenever I double-click.