Whither ttmkfdir?

John D. Hendrickson johnandsara2 at cox.net
Mon Mar 30 23:31:10 UTC 2015

Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:30 PM, Jean-Sébastien Pédron <
> jean-sebastien.pedron at dumbbell.fr> wrote:
>
>> On 24.03.2015 20:01, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>>> If font directories are no longer required by the latest Xorg-server,
>> never
>>> mind.
>> Yes, FWIW, nowadays, text and therefore fonts are handled by the X
>> client, not the X server anymore. It means applications are using
>> fontconfig to find fonts and freetype to render glyphs.
>>
>> --
>> Jean-Sébastien Pédron
>>
>> Thanks. I was worried because I bought a number of TT fonts as a part of a
> commercial package and needed the old ttmkfdir to use them, but I see that
> is not an issue any more.  I see the instructions in the handbook still
> call for ttmkfdir in 6.6.
> --
> Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired

totally untrue it's still required.  i just got the old one and used it
recently

it's only not required if you allow debian or freebsd to manage your
fonts completely and install their packages

if you have X11 software that comes with fonts or if want to rebuild
fonts: you still have to do exactly the same things as before !!

only new things in fc-cache(1) , and that offers font hints (good)

you don't need "those old tools" if you follow their advice: they will
control everything for you

problem: they are likely to do so against your best interests :)  maybe.