[Call for testers] The i915 kernel driver as a port on FreeBSD 9.3

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Wed Mar 25 08:51:46 UTC 2015

On 03/25/15 00:25, Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:
> Hi!
>
> FreeBSD 9.3's i915 kernel driver is missing hardware context support.
> This means we are stuck with Mesa 9.1 and xserver 1.14 on this version.
>
> We are experimenting with providing the i915 kernel driver with hardware
> context as a port:
> http://blogs.freebsdish.org/graphics/2015/03/18/mesa-10-x-and-i915-on-freebsd-9-x/
>
> The article includes a patch and instructions to test it.
>
> Could i915 and Radeon users running FreeBSD 9.3 on their desktop please
> test this?

Forgive me for being so dumb, but I don't even know what an "hardware
context" is (any link appreciated).

Subject says this is for i915, but Radeon users should test this too.
I'm confused, as I thought this driver was only for i3/i5/i7 integrated
graphic card.

In any case, I have a Radeon card on an AMD Phenom based system. Should
I try this?

What benefits/differences should I expect?

  bye & Thanks
	av.