NV: Failed to load module "xaa" (module does not exist, 0)

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 23:56:25 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Jean-Sébastien Pédron <
jean-sebastien.pedron at dumbbell.fr> wrote:

> On 18.02.2015 21:38, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Wen will the bit-rot in nv become bad enough to remove the driver?
>
> I'm fine with removing it actually. We probably should have done that
> already.
>
> > It's unfortunate that Nouveau has become so Linux-centric that is is
> > not viable as a FreeBSD driver.
>
> In fact, it's not that Linux-centric. It has the same dependencies than
> the Radeon driver, so everything is in place to make it work. One
> problem is the files layout: files are spread in subdfirectories with
> many files having the same name (where i915 and Radeon drivers put all
> files in a single top directory). The FreeBSD build system is not
> designed for this case and it will require some work.
>
> But other than that, porting Nouveau just requires time "only" :)
>
> And Nouveau developers are very nice and would be very happy to see the
> driver be ported to FreeBSD.
>
> --
> Jean-Sébastien Pédron

Cool! I was either mis-informed or didn't understand the mail back when
Nouveau was dropped from FreeBSD.

Time is always in short supply, but this sounds pretty good. I think that
Nouveau even supports Optimus.

I can see how the directory issue would be a pain! Would a parallel
directory structure under /dev/drm2/nouveau/ that simply mirrors the
nouveau stuff and pulls it all into a single area? (This is said without
looking at the Linux code.)

In any case, it sounds like it is do-able and I hope that someone with
better coding skills than mine might have some time one of these days. But,
until then, the nVidia written drivers seem to be quite adequate. (Spoken
by an nVidia non-user.)

Merci pour l'information!
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com