[CFT] i915: add HW context support (for Mesa 9.2+)

Jean-Sébastien Pédron dumbbell at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 7 08:52:08 UTC 2014

Hello!

Mesa 9.2+ requires "hardware context support" [1] in the i915 driver to
work on Intel GPUs found in Sandy Bridge and later. Our driver lacks
this feature, that's why we're stuck with Mesa 9.1 in the ports tree.

If you have one of those GPUs and you try Mesa 10.2 for instance
(available from the xorg-dev's experimental branch [2]), it will
complain with the following message:

  # glxinfo
  name of display: :0.0
  Gen6+ requires Kernel 3.6 or later.
  Assertion failed: (ctx->Version > 0), (...)
  Abort (core dumped)

I prepared a patch to add this feature to our i915 driver; the goal is
to have it in 10.1-RELEASE:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Add%20HW%20context%20support%20to%20i915

The article above explains how to test the patch. We're interested in
success/failure reports for any GPU, not just Intel ones. So please test
it! :)

Thank you!

[1]
https://bwidawsk.net/blog/index.php/2013/01/i915-hardware-contexts-and-some-bits-about-batchbuffers/