[rfc] Radeon AGP support patches

Juan Ramón Molina Menor listjm at club-internet.fr
Mon Oct 27 17:36:27 UTC 2014

Hi.

Sorry for the noise, but are you talking about only a Request for
Comments or it is a Call for Testers?

I’m willing to resurrect an old machine with an ATI Radeon 9250 5960 AGP
card for testing these patches (and the update to xf86-video-ati 7.5.0).
It was working well with New Xorg on 10.0-RELEASE, albeit without GPU
acceleration:

 > 11/03/2014 11:21, Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:
 >>> *drmn0: error: Disabling GPU acceleration*
 >
 > We don't support AGP cards right now, thus the errors you're seeing.
 > Fortunately, the card is still able to do modesetting (changing monitor
 > resolution).
 >
 > AGP support isn't on the TODO list for now, because we already have a
 > lot of work with current hardware
 >
 > Thank you for the report!

The problem is I’m not a power user and I don’t completely know how to
safely apply those patches: I guess I have to download source (-HEAD,
-STABLE?) and rebuild the system, but there is maybe an easier/quicker
way? Could you please provide some more detailed instructions or point
me to some Handbook page? Maybe it’s not worth involving in tests by
some noob as me, so don’t hesitate to politely reject my offer…
specially if we are not yet in test stage! ;D

Best regards,
Juan