Issue with DRI after latest update

xtremyst inxtremo xtremyst.in.xtremo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 18:14:45 UTC 2014

I honestly don't know what to say anymore. My last mail describes all the
steps I followed and the results. Since the last hard reset, I booted to my
arch linux installation for a few hours (and sent the previous mail), I
just switched back to FreeBSD, replaced xf86-video-ati-ums with
xf86-video-ati and started X. Everything works great now. When I execute
startx I see the cursor and the square on top left corner for a second,
then they get really small  and X starts normally. I have absolutely no
idea why or how. I rebooted a few times and I still have DRI enabled.

(xtremyst at FreeBSD)~ % pkg info | grep
xf86-video-ati

xf86-video-ati-7.2.0_4         X.Org ati display driver

(xtremyst at FreeBSD)~ % cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep DRI
[    26.792] (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
[    26.803] (II) Loading extension DRI2
[    30.832] (II) RADEON(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
[    30.832] (II) RADEON(0): [DRI2]   DRI driver: r300
[    30.832] (II) RADEON(0): [DRI2]   VDPAU driver: r300
[    32.191] (II) GLX: Initialized DRI2 GL provider for screen 0

I updated my ports with portsnap fetch update and I noticed there's an
update on xf86-video-ati but I don't know whether I should update to the
newest version or just keep my system as it is now... because who knows if
I'll have a working DRI after that. I'm trying really hard to find a
logical explanation for all this but I can't think of anything. Is it
possible that building  xf86-video-ati last this time changed something?
It's an issue I've been having for months. I thought I had solved it again
in the past only to find out that the same problem was coming back some
time later.