Is it known problem, that WITH_NEW_XORG/WITH_KMS is incompatible with acpi_video and lefts user without ability to change brightness on Laptop?

Henry Hu henry.hu.sh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 19:10:21 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Lev Serebryakov <lev at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hello, Freebsd-x11.
>
>   I'm using 10-STABLE on old Laptop (Sony Vaio) with Intel adapter (it has
>  switch Intel/nVidia and I use Intel one), and with "old" Xorg xfce4
>  brighness plugin could control brightness if acpi_video.ko is loaded.
>
>   I've tried NEW_XORG, it mostly works, but all hw.acpi.video disappears
> and
>  I could not find any way to control backlight brightness :( xfce4
>  brightness plugin shows "No device found" too.
>
>   Is it known problem? Is here any way to control brightness in such case?

You can replace /usr/local/sbin/xfpm-power-backlight-helper with your own
script that handles --get-max-brightness, --get-brightness and
--set-brightness.

Currently I'm using intel-backlight in intel-gpu-tools[1] to change
backlight.

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/intel-gpu-tools/

> --
> // Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>

Cheers,
Henry