KMS on Radeon HD 3870

Hannes h2+lists2014 at fsfe.org
Mon Feb 10 13:37:53 UTC 2014

On 25.11.2013 14:27, Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:
> On 24.11.2013 17:16, Hannes wrote:
>> I still got a kernel panic after updating to a new kernel...
>
> Could you obtain a kernel dump?
>
> If not yet, after you configured kernel dumps, add this sysctl to
> /etc/sysctl.conf:
> debug.debugger_on_panic=0
>
> If you don't reboot, set it from the command line too:
> sysctl debug.debugger_on_panic=0
>
> This sysctl helps when the kernel panic occurs while in X.Org.
>
> And try to reproduce the panic :) If you obtain a dump, I'm interested
> in the last core.txt in /var/crash.

I have tried with 10.0-RELEASE again, and the problem persists.
Sometimes a session runs for 8hours without issues, sometimes is reboots
after 2min.

Other issues I am seeing is spontaneous lockups of X. It looks like a
hang, but than after 10-30s there is a flicker and regular operation is
resumed (happened only twice up till now).
Another weird thing I noticed, is that video doesn't work right. No
matter whether I pick XV or GL, with the new drivers video is stuttery
at best. This happens on mplayer, vlc and xine.

Unfortunately I do not have SWAP on this machine, as I have only a small
SSD, but lots of RAM. There is no way to get a crash dump then, is there?

Thanks for your help!

Best,
Hannes