FreeBSD 10.0 PKGNG repository for xorg (was: [CFT] Update of xorg libraries and MESA)

Simone Caronni negativo17 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 18:32:11 UTC 2013

Hello,

first post here!

I've just come back to FreeBSD as a desktop after the new additions of
PKGNG/poudriere, new KMS/X.org, bhyve etc... I've always used Linux but I
love FreeBSD; and use it quite often at work.

Thanks very much for the updated xorg stack, on my systems with Nvidia
video cards X starts in a snap without any xorg.conf configuration file.

It also works perfectly with proprietary Nvidia drivers.

To help this into reaching the official ports tree and to avoid people in
waiting for long compile sessions I've built a PKGNG repository that
contains the following ports for FreeBSD 10/amd64:

x11/xorg
x11/xorg-minimal
x11/nvidia-driver
x11/nvidia-settings
x11/nvidia-xconfig
multimedia/libvdpau
multimedia/vdpauinfo

All the packages have been built from today's portsnap checkout with the
xorg-mesaupdate.diff patch (2013-Sep-12).

Nvidia packages have been updated to 325.15; and nvidia-settings now has a
dependency on libvdpau. Linux support is disabled as I'm not interested in
it.

You can add the repository here:

http://negativo17.org/freebsd/xorg/

If you have any issue/feedback please let me know; I will try to address
them as soon as I can.

I will write an entry in my blog about this in the next days after some
initial feedback.

One question: Is there any interest in such a bleeding edge repository also
for FreeBSD 9.x or for the i386 platform?

Thanks & regards,
--Simone

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of
the shore (R. W. Emerson).

http://xkcd.com/229/
http://negativo17.org/