[HEADS UP] Fwd: svn commit: r328711 - in head: . Mk astro/viking cad/pdnmesh cad/repsnapper deskutils/pinot devel/xorg-macros emulators/catapult emulators/qemu-devel emulators/tme games/klavaro games/sea-defender ...

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 19:16:10 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Niclas Zeising <zeising at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 10/01/13 17:01, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 1:35 AM, Niclas Zeising <zeising at freebsd.org>
> wrote:

> people.

> >> No, you don't.  You have to update to the latest 10-CURRENT for that.

> >> I think so.  Your best bet is to update to CURRENT.  10.0 isn't that far
> >> off, and we are in a code freeze, so 10 is reasonably stable.

> >> None known, just read UPDATING.
> >> Regards!
> >>

> > Not to be contrary, but I think this is an exceptionally bad time to
> switch
> > to current if you want stability. Maybe in another week, but not quite
> yet.
> > When code freeze is upon us, there are LOTS of commits of WIP, and things
> > tend to break rather badly for a few days. These issues are normally
> fixed
> > fairly quickly, but it takes a little time and, from the issues raised in
> > mail to current@, things are still a bit rough.
> >
> > I really don't want to discourage the use of 10.0 as more use is far
> better
> > for a solid release, but running current can be a bit more risky, and
> > running it right after freeze is especially so. (So is running it right
> > after current is re-opened after release.) I'd recommend waiting until
> > around 10/10. (I like this date as it is the same whether your locality
> > puts month or day first). By then current should be pretty stable.
> >

> Just for the record, I've never really had any major trouble with
> CURRENT, and run it regularly on my desktop and laptop.
> Regards!
> --
> Niclas Zeising

I ran it through the "entertaining" times of going from v4 to v6 and seldom
had serious issues, but that was largely because I kept a close watch on
the current@ mailer and was familiar with the process. I don't think either
of us qualify as "typical" users. Nobody running head routinely really is
and I think it can impact our perceptions.

I can say with pretty high confidence that beginning of freeze and opening
to major changes after a release are the least stable times for both STABLE
and CURRENT. Instability with the freeze does not often last long. V5 was a
notable exception. The thaw is often a bit more disruptive.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com