FreeBSD 9.1 Xorg 7.5.2 Intel GMA X3000

Paul Pathiakis pathiaki2 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 00:21:42 UTC 2013

Hi,

I checked this out to be supported hardware so I'm kind of confused as to why it's not working.

I have a:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-A54C-AB91-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B0089WLYQ0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1359399403&sr=8-4&keywords=Asus+laptop

It's got an Intel GMA X3000 chipset for graphics in it.  I'm told this is supported under 9.1 (and previous?)

So, everything should be ok, right?  I've checked and this is a supported chipset.

Anyhow, I go to Xorg -configure and it generates the xorg.conf.new file.

However, in the file (sorry I can't post anything as the laptop is a friends and she's trying to get dual-booting working and she's using Win7 for right now until I get this resolved - she takes the laptop with her as she needs it daily), I noted something very strange that I have never seen before and I haven't found anywhere in search engines or archives... (I may have not searched correctly?)

When I try to run X -config /root/xorg.conf.new, it just wedges the machine.  I mean it totally wedges it.  No ctl-alt-F#, no Ctrl-C, no ctl-alt-del.  It's totally wedged and only a power cycle clears it.

The xorg.conf file has an entry for two different adapters and two monitors.  pciconf -lv shows me that the vga is indeed located at PCI0:0:2:0.

However, in the file there is a device located at that location for intel AND another one for VESA.  ?????

There's no other card or device connected to this laptop.

The next weird-ism is the fact it detects two monitors, monitor0 and monitor1. ?????

I tried editing out the top of the file where it references the ServerLayout and shows Screen0 and Screen1 and removed Screen1 that doesn't exist.    I removed the corresponding section for that Screen nearer the bottom.  I've removed the VESA entry in the graphics device area and wrote these all out.  It fixes nothing and the machine again hangs hard.

Now, does this have to do with the new KMS?  Did I miss something about a work around on this?  I would think someone would have posted about a hard hang.

Thank you!

P.