Troubleshooting Radeon KMS with a HD 5700 gpu

Antonis Anastasiadis anastasiadis at datalive.gr
Tue Dec 10 17:28:49 UTC 2013

Thanks!

I've compiled today's HEAD (kernel+world) with NEWCONS support and
tried again. The framebuffer is running on a 2560x1440 resolution, and
looks great.

However, the kernel crashes at boot, and I'm dropped to a debugger
prompt. The process is "vidcontrol", I assume it hasn't been updated
to handle the newcons infrastructure? Some of the messages are:

Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
current process = 944 (vidcontrol)
Stopped at vtterm_ioctl+0xe59: ret

I can provide more info using the debugger if needed.

If I disable vidcontrol, the system boots. Xorg can't start, and spews
out this message:

Fatal server error: xf86OpenSyscons: Cannot open /dev/ttyvff (no such
file or directory)