Troubleshooting Radeon KMS with a HD 5700 gpu

Jean-Sébastien Pédron dumbbell at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 9 13:19:04 UTC 2013

On 08.12.2013 23:15, Antonis Anastasiadis wrote:
> Hi,

Hello!

> I'm having trouble activating KMS with an AMD Radeon 5770 card: Once the
> "radeonkms" module is loaded, the monitor loses the video signal.

If you just "kldload radeonkms", this is expected, as syscons (the
default console driver) doesn't support KMS [1]. However, this doesn't
prevent you from running X.Org. In fact, xf86-video-ati will
automatically load radeonkms when X.Org is first started, so you don't
have to it manually.

If instead your monitor turns off after you start X, then there's a
problem. In this case, can connect to your computer remotely using ssh(1)?

> The GPU is connected to a 27" Dell monitor via DisplayPort.

You should update again to at least r259104, because a bug fix was
committed regarding monitors connected to DisplayPort.

> I'm using latest HEAD sources with WITH_NEW_XORG in make.conf and the
> recent svn ports checkout from here:
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Ports

You don't need to use the development ports tree (xorg-dev). Just stick
to the official ports tree. Keep WITH_NEW_XORG in your make.conf and add
WITH_GALLIUM here too.

[1] If you require a working console while using X.Org, you can switch
to the brand new console driver, which was committed to HEAD a few days
ago. See the following wiki article:
    https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron