Radeon HD 2400 PRO, DRI configuration help

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 16:51:18 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I'm having quite a few problems setting DRI up on my system. I'm
running 9.0-RELEASE on amd64 using GENERIC kernel. I recompiled the
radeon kernel module with WITHOUT_NOUVEAU="YES" just to see if I had
more luck.

This is some information about my system:

pciconf -lv:

vgapci0 at pci0:4:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x10411462 chip=0x94c31002
rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
    device     = 'RV610 video device [Radeon HD 2400 PRO]'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

Using GENERIC kernel for 9.0-RELEASE on amd64. radeon kernel driver
compiled with WITHOUT_NOUVEAU.

/usr/ports/graphics/dri properly configured and installed.

I followed instructions at
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriTroubleshooting, but I found that
dmesg | grep agp doesn't return anything so I suppose this is a bad
sign.
I know agp subsystem has been in the default kernel for a while. I can
also load the radeon module and I get the /dev/dri/card0 device node.

Using the radeon driver for Xorg results in a system hang after a
blank screen and the monitor going to sleep. Only if I set DRI to
false and I _do not_ load the radeon driver I can get my X server
running though it is quite slow. The output of glxinfo | grep OpenGL
is:

OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.6.1
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:

So basically I don't know how to get the card working. It works in
Linux with the Xorg's radeon driver so I suppose I have some
misconfiguration around but I can not figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS: Please, CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list.