Xorg lockup in drmwtq state

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Thu May 5 16:51:07 UTC 2011

[Redirected to x11@]
On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 03:17:36PM +0200, Guido Falsi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In the last week I have started to see the situation described in the
> subject several times.
>
> I'd really appreciate some help about this issue, since I don't know
> where to look at to better diagnose it.
>
> The screen locks up, but the mouse cursor still moves.
>
> I can log in via ssh and from top I see this line for Xorg:
>
> 1563 root   1  44    0   388M   326M drmwtq  1   5:05  0.00% Xorg
>
> the last line from Xorg.0.log reads:
>
> [mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
>
> I updated the system on Apr 28 just after cvsupping the latest
> 8-stable.
> I also upgraded to Firefox 4 on that day.
>
> I mention Firefox 4 because these lockups are always happening while
> using FF4. It also looks like thay are happening when I use FF4 while I
> have at least one VirtualBox machine running.
>
> I know this sounds crazy, but this is what I'm seeing. I'm trying to do
> some more testing but I can't reproduce this with just FF4 or just
> VirtualBox running.
>
> This machine has intel graphics:
>
> vgapci0: <VGA-compatible display> port 0x1210-0x1217 mem
> 0xf0100000-0xf017ffff,0xe0000000-0xefffffff,0xf0000000-0xf00fffff irq 16
> at device 2.0 on pci0
> agp0: <Intel Q35 SVGA controller> on vgapci0
> agp0: aperture size is 256M, detected 6140k stolen memory
> drm0: <Intel Q35> on vgapci0
>
> Up to March 10 this was not happening.(I have not used this machine in
> the days between March 10 and Apr 28, I'm sorry I can't really
> narrow it down any better)
>
> Putting blame on VirtualBox I disabled 3D acceleration in all virtual
> machines, but this did not solve nor mitigate the problem.
>
> Thank in advance for any help!

I assume that you use the latest version of the X from ports.

Do not expect a quick resolution of the issue, at least from me.
Nonetheless, I would like to see some additional data:
1. vmstat -i for some time before, and after the hang
2. procstat -k for Xorg server and firefox, possibly virtualbox.
   Look around to see is there any other processes in unusual sleep
   state, and provide procstat -k for them too.
3. [Only if you have much time] Set hw.dri.0.debug to 1 and post
   the kernel log somewhere.

As a workaround, you might try to set LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT to 1 in
environment for Firefox, or to recompile graphics/cairo without
OpenGL support.