Graphic card that works?

Adam K Kirchhoff akirchhoff135014 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 29 01:26:13 UTC 2011

On 06/28/11 20:53, Michal Varga wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 19:21 -0500, Zhihao Yuan wrote:
>> So you agree with that Nvidia drivers are not stable.
> No, I don't agree. Software has bugs. What a shocker. More news at
> eleven.
>

>> I agree with it
>> because my roommate has 2 boxes running Nvidia cards and their
>> official binary drivers. He suffered from the unstable video and the
>> incomplete Xcomposite supports a lot.
> There is no "unstable video" with Nvidia drivers. There is completely
> horribly totally locking video (along with the rest of the computer),
> IF:
>
> 1. you run VDPAU acceleration -->
> 2. you run it through metacity compositor (as far as I know, KDE
> compositor doesn't produce this effect, but I'm not a KDE user and I
> have no idea what they use, and how much and when does it apply). Some
> other compositors might trigger the same bug, I don't know. Metacity
> definitely does.
>
> This is a known issue. Software has bugs. If you hate it that much at
> this somewhat late hour, you're always free to write a better one, I
> guess.
>
> Or, as a workaround, you can turn off the (almost close to pointless)
> compositor until that specific issue gets solved. I did the latter and
> never lost my sleep because of it.

Having spent plenty of time both using nvidia hardware and watching the
nvnews linux and FreeBSD forums, I know that the nvidia drivers are not
nearly as stable for everyone as they are for you.  Just deal with this
fact.  Patrick is clearly unhappy with the nvidia drivers.  Zhihao as
well.  As am I.   So please stop trying to force users to your specific
perspective.  If you can't contribute positively to the conversation
about what non-nvidia PCIe cards Patrick has to choose from, then please
just stop talking.

Adam