x11/nvidia-driver incompatible with portmaster?

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at missouri.edu
Sun Jul 3 02:38:17 UTC 2011

On 07/02/2011 08:39 PM, b. f. wrote:
>> You are correct.  It wouldn't be NO_REINSTALL.
>>
>> But would you guys be interested in some creative way to make this work?
>>    Perhaps xorg-server could be modified to first check "pkg_info | grep
>> nvidia-driver", and if this comes up true, then the xorg-server port and
>> package would not install libgl.*.
>>
>> I could do something like this, but before I work on it and put forth a
>> proof of concept, I would first like to hear good reasons why I this
>> might be a bad idea.
>
> It's a bad idea because it's sensitive to the order of
> (de)installation.  It's always been unfortunate that nvidia-driver
> collides with xorg-server and libGL.  It would be better if
> xorg-server and libGL were patched to install a linker script instead
> of the libGL.so and libglx.so symlinks, which would favor the
> nvidia-specific libraries over the generic libraries if the former
> were present.  Or if nvidia-driver didn't replace the shared libraries
> of the other ports, but used additions to libmap.conf(5) instead.

The libmap.conf idea seems really good.  So, the nvidia-driver ports
install things like

lib/modules/extensions/libglx-nvidia.so

and then libmap.conf has a line inserted at the beginning like

libglx.so	libglx-nvidia.so

Similarly with libGL.so etc.  I'm not quite sure what to do with the
libglx.la file.  Isn't that a static library?

What about the linker script?  What are you proposing with that idea?

Stephen