x11/nvidia-driver incompatible with portmaster?

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 3 02:04:49 UTC 2011

> You are correct.  It wouldn't be NO_REINSTALL.
>
> But would you guys be interested in some creative way to make this work?
>   Perhaps xorg-server could be modified to first check "pkg_info | grep
> nvidia-driver", and if this comes up true, then the xorg-server port and
> package would not install libgl.*.
>
> I could do something like this, but before I work on it and put forth a
> proof of concept, I would first like to hear good reasons why I this
> might be a bad idea.

It's a bad idea because it's sensitive to the order of
(de)installation.  It's always been unfortunate that nvidia-driver
collides with xorg-server and libGL.  It would be better if
xorg-server and libGL were patched to install a linker script instead
of the libGL.so and libglx.so symlinks, which would favor the
nvidia-specific libraries over the generic libraries if the former
were present.  Or if nvidia-driver didn't replace the shared libraries
of the other ports, but used additions to libmap.conf(5) instead.

b.