xf86-video-intel upgrade, anyone?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Jan 5 16:24:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011, Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:

> I have been told on another thread that FreeBSD does not support any recent
> laptop. NVidia switchable graphics is not supported, any recent ATI video
> cards are not supported and any graphic card that comes with i-series CPUs
> are not supported either.

"Recent" is relative.  Radeon 4xxx-series graphics should work,
5xxx-series should be better than vesa.

A dive into the horrible Dell web site seems to indicate a Vostro 1088
has a Radeon 4530.  Web searching indicates some of the Inspirons with
i3 processors can be had with Radeon 4xxx-series graphics. Many Dells
have nVidia, but I have not paid attention to which of those work and
which do not.