[Call for Testing] X.org 7.5 for FreeBSD

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Sun Apr 4 00:00:40 UTC 2010

On 2010-Mar-11 14:44:14 +0100, Martin Wilke <miwi at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>Please report any problems and issus to x11 (at) FreeBSD.org.

Another data point (sorry for the delay):

FreeBSD server.vk2pj.dyndns.org 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #1: Wed Jan 27 06:55:10 EST 2010     root at server.vk2pj.dyndns.org:/var/obj/usr/src/sys/server amd64

(--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 1002:94c3:1458:2192 ATI Technologies Inc RV610 video device [Radeon HD 2400 PRO] rev 0, Mem @ 0xd0000000/268435456, 0xfdfe0000/65536, I/O @ 0x0000de00/256, BIOS @ 0x????????/65536

Good news:  X starts and stops cleanly and VTY switching works.

Problems:
1) DRI (and apparently EXA) report as disabled:
(EE) RADEON(0): [pci] Out of memory (-12)
(EE) RADEON(0): [pci] PCI failed to initialize. Disabling the DRI.
(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled
(EE) RADEON(0): Acceleration initialization failed
(II) RADEON(0): Acceleration disabled

There was a thread in mid-February suggesting that this is caused by
a lack of contiguous RAM.  I've tried running a process that just
allocates 1GB RAM and then exits (leaving me with >900MB free space).
Whilst this doesn't guarantee any large contiguous RAM blocks, it
seems odd that there wouldn't be any.

2) mplayer plays video at about 2-3 times the correct rate and firefox-3.5
   also plays HTML5 video excessively fast.

I'm not certain if this is Xorg or something else and will need to
investigate further.

Any suggestions on either of these?

--
Peter Jeremy