New DPMS behavior in 7.4

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Mon May 11 03:51:16 UTC 2009

Andrew J. Caines wrote:
> Mark,
>

>> I've recently upgraded to Xorg 7.4 and Gnome 2.26. I notice that when
>> the monitor screen in blanked that the power lamp stays green always -
>> never goes to orange (it used to with Xorg 7.3 + Gnome 2.24). Is this
>> expected?
>>

> I don't know, but you can check the blanking and DPMS and times for
> Standby, Suspend and Off with "xset -q", e.g.
>
> #  xset -q
> Screen Saver:
>   prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
>   timeout:  600    cycle:  600
> DPMS (Energy Star):
>   Standby: 900    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
>   DPMS is Enabled
>   Monitor is On
>
> This fits with what I explicitly configure in xorg.conf.
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>         Identifier     "X.org Configured"
>         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>         Option         "blank time" "10"
>         Option         "standby time" "15"
>         Option         "suspend time" "0"
>         Option         "off time" "0"
>         Option         "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
> EndSection
>
> Make sure you have the green_saver kernel module loaded.
>
> # kldstat | fgrep green
> 32    1 0xc614f000 2000     green_saver.ko
>
> If you don't, then add saver="green" to your rc.conf and "kldload
> green_saver".

Thanks Andrew,

Adding similar lines into xorg.conf results in an encouraging entry in
X11.0.log:

(**) Option "BlankTime" "10"
(**) Option "StandbyTime" "15"
(**) Option "SuspendTime" "0"
(**) Option "OffTime" "30"

However xset does not pick 'em up:

DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

... and sure enough, monitor light stays green, even after 30 minutes. I
have the 'green_saver' module loaded:

$ kldstat |grep green
 7    1 0xc5cbf000 2000     green_saver.ko

Any ideas? Thanks

Mark