New DPMS behavior in 7.4

Andrew J. Caines A.J.Caines at halplant.com
Thu May 7 00:59:55 UTC 2009

Mark,

> I've recently upgraded to Xorg 7.4 and Gnome 2.26. I notice that when
> the monitor screen in blanked that the power lamp stays green always -
> never goes to orange (it used to with Xorg 7.3 + Gnome 2.24). Is this
> expected?

I don't know, but you can check the blanking and DPMS and times for
Standby, Suspend and Off with "xset -q", e.g.

#  xset -q
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  600    cycle:  600
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 900    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

This fits with what I explicitly configure in xorg.conf.

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        Option         "blank time" "10"
        Option         "standby time" "15"
        Option         "suspend time" "0"
        Option         "off time" "0"
        Option         "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
EndSection

Make sure you have the green_saver kernel module loaded.

# kldstat | fgrep green
32    1 0xc614f000 2000     green_saver.ko

If you don't, then add saver="green" to your rc.conf and "kldload
green_saver".

-Andrew J. Caines-   Unix Systems Engineer   A.J.Caines at halplant.com
FreeBSD/Linux/Solaris, Web/Mail/Proxy/...   http://halplant.com:2001/
  "Machines take me by surprise with great frequency" - Alan Turing