Broken SiS driver?

Geoff Fritz gfritz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 17:02:04 PST 2009

Hello,

After compiling the various Xorg 7.4 updates that came through late last
week, my dual-head display is now a one-head display.

I'm pretty sure it's the updated xf86-video-sis, package, but I'm not 100%
sure yet.

Here is the relavent line of my xorg.conf file:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card1"
        Driver      "sis"
        VendorName  "Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]"
        BoardName   "86C326 5598/6326"
        BusID       "PCI:0:13:0"
EndSection

It was working fine, then I restarted X after the upgrade and now I get a
black screen and a large rectangular square filled with snow as my mouse
cursor.

I have several questions:

1.  Are there any options for this driver that I can tweak which may help?
    I've read sis(4x), but I didn't see anything helpful.

2.  Is there are convenient way, such as svn or git (preferred) repo of the
    ports tree that I can use to roll back the relavent directory in ports?
    I tried installing the driver using "pkg_add -r", but it complained it
    was compiled against the older Xorg version.

3.  What's the correct way to change the above "Device" entry to use the
    Vesa driver?  I've already tried using "vesa" in the Driver field, and
    I tried setting the ChipSet option to "vesa" per the vesa(4x) manpage.
    Neither worked, as it appears to collide with my other card (nv driver)
    and drive the head meant for my old Nvidia card and totally ignore the
    head it's supposed to drive.  I get a "More than one possible primary
    device found" message in my logs when I try to run the vesa driver.

Thanks for any pointers.

-- Geoff