7-STABLE and Intel G33

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Jun 8 11:36:55 UTC 2008

My PC has built-in intel G33 graphics, which I'm trying to get to work
in something better then vesa.

Following the instructions in
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-January/039638.html
I have compiled and installed the driver and kernel modules from the git
trees for drm and the xf86-video-intel driver from June 5th.

I also patched agp_i810.c to remove the comments from the chipset
identifiers and rebuilt the kernel.

After loading the i915.ko kernel module from the git tree, and starting
X with a config file using the intel driver, I still get;

 (II) intel(0): xf86BindGARTMemory: bind key 1 at 0x006ff000 (pgoffset 1791)
 (WW) intel(0): xf86BindGARTMemory: binding of gart memory with key 1
         at offset 0x6ff000 failed (Invalid argument)

 Fatal server error:
 Couldn't bind memory for front buffer

In dmesg output I see:

 agp0: trying to bind into stolen memory

Looking at the Xorg.0.log, the xf86-video-intel driver and the drm and
dri drivers seem to initialize OK.

Grepping through the source, this error seems to originate in
/usr/src/sys/pci/agp_i810.c;

        if ( sc->chiptype != CHIP_I810 ) {
                if ( (offset >> AGP_PAGE_SHIFT) < sc->stolen ) {
                        device_printf(dev, "trying to bind into stolen memory");
                        return EINVAL;
                }

[disclaimer: I'm not a software engineer by education or trade, just a
 mechanical engineer who likes to tinker with computers and software]

I've been reading the agp code, the intel driver code and I've skimmed
the intel docs. I find the code quite hard to understand, and the intel
docs nigh-on unreadable.

Would modifying the if-statement to not produce this error on the
CHIP_G33 fix this problem? Or would it horribly blow up in my face?

Any help to get this to work would be very much appreciated!

Roland