Fwd: FreeBSD 6.3 and Intel G33

Eric Anholt anholt at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 15 13:43:00 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 20:12 +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> I just checked the CVS logs and found that you added G33 support but
> left it disconnected due to a lack of testing...

Huh, I forgot.

> How can I test it? :)

I took a quick review of the docs again and I think it's almost
complete.  The gtt_size detection is broken, though.  We should have
gtt_size (the amount of graphics stolen memory used for storing the GTT
data) equal to zero on this hardware, instead of using the G965 path.
However, this also requires current xf86-video-intel, which fixes the
mistaken assumption we originally had for xf86-video-intel and linux agp
that the gtt stolen memory was stolen out of graphics stolen memory.

Updating just the AGP driver for fixing the bad stolen memory assumption
means that the 2d driver tries to bind memory lower than the AGP driver
will let you, and your server won't start.  The "proper" fix would be
for us to remember the stolen memory address in the GTT and let you bind
over them, but restore them on unbind.  Some day we would love to
release this memory to the general page allocator and get rid of this
stolen memory disaster.

To test, install xf86-video-intel from ports, uncomment those PCI IDs,
and start X.  If things are working, then it probably means you're good
to go and we can enable it by default.  If you're getting the "agp0:
trying to bind into stolen memory" complaint, you need current 2D from
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel and we
should cherry-pick the relevant patch into our ports.

To be sure that everything's working, also enable DRI by installing
updated DRM from git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/drm (bsd-core
directory, make all install).  It may complain if you have witness
enabled, since I haven't brought over the witness fix from -current yet.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com